Tuesday, February 26, 2008

WHY WON'T IT RISE?!?!


I've started baking my own bread which I find tastes so much better then store bought bread. When I first decided to become a vegan I was surprised to learn that quite a few breads contain dairy products. That was one of the reasons I decided to bake my own. I even managed to find a great recipe for vegan bread at http://spoofygirl.blogspot.com/2007/02/honey-wheat-bread-recipe-vegan.html . I am having one problem though, my bread doesn't seem to want to rise enough. This is my first loaf which so far is my best. They seem to be getting flatter and more dense the more I bake. They still taste great but it's hard to make a sandwhich when you bread loaf is only 3" high.

3 comments:

Debrah said...

Try adding a quarter cup gluten flour to your dough. This might help it hold together as it rises. Pure whole wheat bread is much harder to accomplish I think, than white. Good luck. Momxxx

¤ Castara ¤ said...

I guess you need to put more yeast?

Sometimes, maybe the yeast wasn't good?

I am truly awful at making bread. It either comes out hard, or floppy.

Holly St.Denis said...

You might be right about the yeast. I made another loaf but bought different yeast and it turned out much better. I did a couple things different too which may have contributed to a better loaf but I think the yeast was a big part of it.